Author Interview: S.M.Reine

Hey Sara. Thanks for taking the time out to do this interview with me. Can you tell everyone who doesn't know what your debut novel Six Moon Summer is about.

Six Moon Summer is about a girl who gets attacked by some kind of beast at summer camp, only to learn that it was a werewolf-- and she's now cursed to become one in three months.
 
Where did you get your inspiration for Six Moon Summer?
 
It's hard to pinpoint any single event as an inspiration for the book.  Six Moon Summer came from many exhausted, sleepless nights laying around with my son after he was born, but I can't recall any particular incident that gave me the story idea.
 
I love the cover of Six Moon Summer. Did you have any input in the way you wanted the cover?
 
Thank you!  I had a lot of input because I designed it myself!  I tossed around a few cover ideas and made a few rough drafts until I came up with something I liked that reflected the mood of the book.
 
 
 
 
I saw that you have a habit of judging books by their cover (same er he he) is there any book you can think of that you judged purely on the cover not knowing anything about the book that was a great read?
 
I recently picked up "The Sun Never Rises in the Big City" by Jeremy C Shipp on Amazon solely because of its fantastic cover.  It's a stark, monochrome, Frank Miller-esque thing.  It turned out to be a short story rather than a book, but it was so much better than I could have expected.  Highly recommended.
 
 
How does it feel to be debuting your novel? That your book is going be out there for the whole world to read and critize.
 
It feels pretty good, actually.  I'm inured to criticism.  I've been part of many harsh critique groups that tore apart my writing, and I've found that it's a lot of fun, as well as a great learning experience.  Of course, preliminary reactions so far have been positive, so I'm hopeful that the response after the release will be good too!
 
Is there any new releases this year that you are looking forward to reading?
 
Oh gosh, so many books.  There's a few series by other indie authors I'm really excited about, like the next book in The Knight Trilogy and An Apple for Zoe series.  I'm kind of behind on traditionally published books, though, since I tend to pick them up when they drop to bargain prices long after the release.
 
Which book do you wish you could have written and why?
 
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin.  It's creative and beautifully lyrical.  Really unique fantasy.  It just went up for a Hugo award, too!  I kind of cribbed on the title for my next release (The 19 Dragons), but they're completely different projects.
 
 
What was your favourite book as a child/teenager?
 
When I was a kid, it was definitely Peter Pan, but everything by Tamora Pierce and Christopher Pike tie for a close second.
 
Finally do you have any advise for young aspring writer's?
 
Be persistent and be patient.  The first book you write probably won't be great-- in fact, the first half dozen books you write probably won't be great.  But if you doggedly seek criticism and never give up, you'll eventually find yourself getting places.
 
Six Moon Summer is now avaible to buy:
 
 
Find Sara here:
 
http://www.sixmoonsummer.com/
 
Megan :)

 

1 comment

  1. Fantabulous interview Megan and Sara~ Thank you for mentioning my Apple for Zoe series. Can't wait to dig into Six moon summer!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete