Author Interview: Nellee Horne

Hey Nellee thanks for taking the time to do this interview. You are the author of Kensey's story: Meeting death, can you tell us a little about it?


The Kensey's Story series is about 14yr old Kensey finding a mythical world. She is stuck in the new world and has no way to get home. While she is making new friends and living her new life, the Hooded Figure is in the shadows plotting to do something horrible to her and her friends. During the series you'll read how Kensey and her new family try to avoid the Hooded Figure's malicious plans to kill the Humans for tainting his world and also trying to find ways to stop him. Meeting Death is the first book in the series. Basically it shows what Kensey's life is like as she tries to adjust to her new life, how she meets all her friends and enemies, and how she gets through phase 1 of the Hooded Figure's plan.

Kensey's Story Series

Where did you get the idea for Kensey's story: Meeting Death?
The idea for this series came to me during the time I was obsessed with The Chronicles of Narnia. I already had my own spin on it, and something C. S. Lewis had said in one of his biographies encouraged me to write down my own version. I remember being outside in April of 2009 and the idea of an old well and a girl meeting a Fairy popped into my head. I didn't start writing it till that August.

How does it feel to have your book out there for people to read & critize?
It feels great. It's definitely different than most YA you read which is why I know that it'll become a best-seller one day. :) It's original and unique. However, sometimes people don't like that. Some people want the same old stories just with different characters or settings. I love getting great reviews from people who love my book and sometimes reading a so-so review makes me more determined to be a better writer. I meant for this book to be a fun read. I didn't write it to be action-packed or overly dramatic, thinking someone might make a movie about it one day. Although, I try to touch every emotion in the reader. There are some parts that are funny, some that are serious, some that are sad, etc. I don't want people to analyize and dissect it trying to find some deep, hidden meaning. And I'm not trying to solve the mysteries of the universe. I just want to entertain and tell a story.

Are you currently working on any other novels at the moment?
I'm almost through with the sequel to Kensey's Story. For other series, not yet.

Do you like reading YA yourself? Who are some of your favourite authors?
Yes, it's my favorite because it has paranormal and fantasy without it being too adult. I love books by Cassandra Clare, Ally Condie, Alyson Noel, and Becca Fitzpatrick.

Is there any books you are lookign forward to reading this year?
The Infernal Devices, The Fallen series, Crossed (The sequel to Matched), Hex Hall, and Spells (sequel to Wings).

Here is a few quickfire questions!

Fact or fiction? Fiction
Summer or winner? Summer
City or country? Country
Music or movies? Music
Ice cream or chocolate? Chocolate

1 comment

  1. Definitely chocolate. Good choice. Good interview.

    ReplyDelete