Author Interview: Heather Cashman

A little about Heather and her writing career so far:

I had to laugh a bit when I heard the word career. Writing has been a part of me for many years now, but I have only recently published-making this a career of sorts. I'm just having fun. I wrote four novels before I went I went back and began revising Perception. My critique group says you can't call yourself a writer until you've written a million words. For me, the first million words were only the beginning of the learning process. I've come a long way, but I'm still learning about the writing craft.


Could you tell me a little about your novel, PERCEPTION, the first book in The Tiger's Eye Trilogy?

Perception begins more than five hundred years after a deep-space meteor hits Mars, breaking off shards of the planet into out orbit and causing world-wide devastation. An off-grid and underground military installation was experimenting at the time on genetic mutation, mixing the DNA of humans and animals in an attempt to create super-soldiers. Their enhanced abilities gave them the means to survive, and over time, they develop into the nation of Calem where The Tiger's Eye Trilogy takes place.

Where did you get the idea for The Tiger's Eye Trilogy?

I wish I could tell you. I believe it comes from several parts of my background, but mostly plays in my head like a movie. I studied genetic mutation in college, have been fascinated with large animals from the time I first saw them at the zoo, and like to daydream alot. Daydreaming is "work" for the career of writing, right? So I like to work alot.

I like the cover of Perception. I like the way it is black and white and the colour is only in the tiger's eyes! Who designed the cover and how much say did you have in the process?

My daughter and I actually designed the cover. She's excellent with graphic design, and it was so well liked, we kept it.

In my opinion and correct me if am wrong. The Tiger's Eye Trilogy is a dystopian novel! Dystopian novels are very popular at the moment. Why did you decide to write a dystopian novel novel? And is it purely a dystopian of does other genres come into it i.e. romance, fantasy

It has been categorized as Dystopian Future, but it has also been called Speculative Fiction, SciFi/Fantasy, and it would be wrong to say that it has no romance, though that isn't what drives the story. While this may be popular now, its conception happened ten or twelve years ago. I never really planned on publishing and wrote it for my own enjoyment. I am loving all the dystopian novels out recently, though.

Why should we read Perception (The Tiger's Eye Trilogy #1)?

Perception introduces the idea that your reality is not every one's reality. It brings your own reasoning into question. You meet character's unlike any other. You see through a tiger's eyes, feel a connection with them, and learn about loyalty, family, and sacrifice. Besides that, its a fun, entertaining read.

Are you working on any project's at the moment?

I am polishing the second novel for it's release in December. I am also working on an Urban Fantasy Series.

Heather's Book History:

Favourite book as a child?


Dragondrums (the whole trilogy) by Anne Caffrey because Menolly was my hero and she could speak with dragons.

Favourite book as a teenager?

Everything by Anne McCaffrey

Favourite book you have read this year and why?


Warrior Heir series by Cinda Williams Chima because we write so much the same that when I am reading her books, I feel like I'm cozy, at home in them.

A book that has taught you a lesson and why?


Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. When my dog died as a child, it taught me that life goes on. And while it may be a different life, it can still be a happy one.

A book you would recommend my blog followers to read and why?


Dracula by Braham Stoker-everyone needs to know the truth about vampires.

Thanks to Heather for the interview! You can find Heather at various web locations:

Heather's Website:

Heather's blog, where she love's to hear everyone's comments.
http://heathercashman.com/better_off_read/

Heather's twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/HeatherCashman

Heather's Facebook fan page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Perception-The-Tigers-Eye-Trilogy/173231856069175?sk=wall
 
Buy Heather's Book at
 

 















4 comments

  1. oooh! thanks for the interview!

    ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great insight into what makes heather tick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for hosting me here, Megan. It was great working with you, and I look forward to the future. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete