Author Interview: Cyndi Tefft

A little about Cyndi and her writing career:

I first started writing (mostly a bunch of angst-ridden poetry) when I was in middle school as a way to deal with the emotional trauma of liking This Guy or That Guy who didn't know I was alive. Being able to purge my thoughts on paper--those words I wouldn't dare say out loud--kept me sane. It wasn't until I was married with two kids that I decided to try my hand at writing a novel. I was watching a video of Stephenie Meyer and she seemed like a normal person. Kinda like me. I thought that if she could do it, maybe I could, too. So I did. It hasn't had the same following, though. LOL

You are the author of Between. Can you tell me a little about it?



Between is a love story between a modern American girl who dies in a car accident and the 18th century Scottish Highlander who comes to take her to heaven. It's for older teens and young-at-heart adults who love romance (and hunky guys).

Where did you get the idea for Between?

I was reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and fell in love with Scotland, so that was the inspiration for my leading male character, Aiden MacRae (who, I must say, is yummy). I wanted to write a good versus evil kind of story but didn't want to do angels and demons (per se), so I spent some time noodling on it and came up with the idea of the Transporter who takes souls to heaven and this realm in between the two planes, where anything can happen.

How does it feel to have your first book out there for everyone to read. Exciting and nervous at the same time I would guess!

You're so right! Writing a book is grueling, but getting it ready to publish and then marketing the book. Oy. *wipes forehead* It's a lot of hard work. Still, holding the printed copy in my hands for the first time was euphoria like I'd never known. And connecting with readers who love the book has brought me such joy. Group hug!!

Are you currently working on any other projects at the moment?

I am about halfway through the sequel to Between, called Hell Transporter. Aiden is a Transporter who takes souls from earth to heaven. The sequel focuses on his counterpart who goes the other way. *cue scary music*

Why should we read Between?

If you like to get swept up in a love story, to forget about the day-to-day trials of the real world and immerse yourself in a realm where time travel is possible, and if a sexy Scottish accent makes you swoon, then Between is the book for you!

Cyndi's Book History!

Favourite book as a child and why?



The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary because she got into more trouble than I did.


Favourite book as a teenager and why?
 
 


Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury because his imagination knows no bounds.

Favourite book you have read this year and why?



Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready because it's an awesome read and it features a Scot!

A book you would recommend my readers check out?



If you haven't read the Outlander series, do it! It is not YA, but it is brilliantly written. Jamie Fraser is the inspiration for my YA hero. He is divine.


A book that has taught you a lesson and why?



On Writing by Stephen King is an incredible source of inspiration, guidance and hope for writers. I borrowed it from the library and loved it so much, I bought a copy for my bookshelf. If you are a writer (or would like to be), you owe it to yourself to get a copy.

Between is available for sale:

Personalized print copies available from cynditefft.com


Connect with Cyndi:


Twitter:  @cynditefft

No comments