Welcome to day four of the children's book event! Today I am bringing you a feature on Kipper the dog.
Kipper the dog! Who remembers these books from their childhood? (I seem to remember the television programme more than the books) For all of those who haven't heard of Kipper the dog (and I doubt there is many) here's a little info for you:
- Kipper the dog has been around for over twenty years and is a character created by British writer Mick Inkpen.
- The books have sold millions of copies and have been translated into over 20 languages.
- Mick Inkpen also illustrates the books as well as writes them
- The book has won many awards
- Kipper the dog has also been turned into a television programme and won a BAFTA for best animated children's film in 1998.
I decided to review one the Kipper books and I choose Hide me, Kipper! Kippers 18th birthday book!
Book: Hide me, Kipper
Author: Mick Inkpen
Publisher: Hodder Childrens
Hide me, Kipper is about a little squeaky mouse who comes running into Kippers story and hides between the foldy bits in the middle of the book. Little squeaky mouse is being chased by cat and Kipper hides little squeaky mouse each time cat comes to find him, in his toy box, between his ears, until cat finally catches little squeaky mouse. In the end little squeaky mouse and cat where only playing hide and seek, he wasn't trying to gobble him up like Kipper thought!
The story is a cute one and not what you would think, of course you think cat was going eat little squeaky mouse but they are in fact friends.
All the books in the Kipper series are great reads for young childrens. The pictures are simple but enough for the story, simply Kipper and whatever else is going on in the story whether its Kipper and the little squeaky mouse or Kipper on his own. This is a storybook that all children will love and will never get old!
If you have missed any of the Childrens book posts, click the childrens banner along the top of the blog to see them all!