Day 13 and we are Illinois with author Julie Cross. Enjoy Julie's post all about Illinois and enter the giveaway at the end. Let's see what awaits us in Illinois.
You can check out yesterday's stop in Idaho with author Coutney J Pearson here
Places to visit in Illinois
Places to eat in Illinois
In Chicago there are too many great places to eat to name them all however in Champaign, IL where I live, Golden Harbor is not only amazing Chinese food but also an experience. They have over 1000 items on their Chinese menu, pasted all over the walls in Chinese. If you’re daring, you can pick a random number and enjoy the surprise
Quirky things about Illinois
Not quirky but super important: Illinois was the first state to abolish slavery.
- Twinkies were invented in Illinois
- Illinois is home to the 3rd largest US city (Chicago) but 80% of the state is farmland, so basically there’s Chicago and…I live in the…part of the state
Famous people from Illinois
- Abraham Lincoln
- President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama
- Hillary Clinton
- John Hughes, most of his films were set and filmed in Chicago suburbs (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink…)
- Jane Addams, Nobel Peace Prize winner
- Roger Ebert
- Bonnie Blair, Olympic Speed skater (from my home town)
- John and James Belushi (actors Blue’s Brothers, SNL…)
Authors or books set in your state
Ray Bradbury, Simone Elkeles (many of her books are set in the Chicago area) and Veronica Roth
Thanks Julie :) Illinois sounds awesome. I didn't realise so many politicians came from Illinois especially past, present and future Presidents.
Check out Day 14's stop in Indiana with author Mike Mullin here
Follow all the road trip posts here
Giveaway is sponsored by author Julie Cross. One winner will receive a $10 Amazon Gift card and is open to anyone who can receive Amazon Gift cards. Ends August 10th 2015.
a Rafflecopter giveaway